Affects Version/s: 3.6.0
Fix Version/s: 3.8.0
Safari Version 7.1 on Mac OS X 10.9.5, although I expect the issue affects any browser on any platform because I do not believe that it is a client-side problem.
I encountered a confusing situation while experimenting with the Hue Search app in CDH 5.1.2. Hue reported that "Your search did not match any documents" even though I was certain that many relevant documents were indexed.
Here's the conceptual steps to reproduce. I could give you the same data if you like, though there's nothing specific to my data needed to understand the problem.
1. Index a collection of records containing addresses within the US. To make my explanation easier, assume that you have 1000 records that are equally distributed among all 50 US states.
2. Build a UI for this collection in Hue, with a facet on the 'state' field in the left column and a 'grid results' component in the main (right) column.
3. Navigate through through the first two pages of results with no facets or filters applied. The text above the grid results should now read, "Showing 21 to 30 of 532 results"
4. Observe that the list of states shown on the left side of the page says "CA (20)" indicating that there are 20 results for California. Click "CA(20)" in order to limit your results to just those records from California.
5. Observe the message "Your search did not match any documents" which is confusing, since you know there are 20 records for California.
It seems that the problem is that the position within the overall result set is being retained, even after a new facet has been applied. This is in contrast to what most other Search UIs I can recall do given the same behavior (I just verified on both amazon.com and bestbuy.com, for example, that your page number is reset to 1 after you add or remove facets).